Friday, February 26, 2010

R.I.P. Hlavní nádraží Megasekáč or How the cruel hands of time killed my vintage wonderland



Oh how I will miss thee, Hlavní nádraží Megasekáč.


We had some good times together, especially last winter, when Sunday was 5 Kč day. In those months, I'd visit you with a 100 kč note in my pocket and come home with a pile of smelly, but oh so lovely and oh so cheap clothes. So in memory of those great days, here's a picture of some of the great clothes I bought when you were still up and running:



Turns out it's really hard to take a good photo of a garment by itself - all the ones I took looked like evidence pics from a crime scene, and I didn't feel like "modelling" them myself because of my post-Christmas and post-New Year's resolution diet failure.


Anyway, 5 Kč? For clothes that make you look, um, not homeless after you've put them in the washer?


And I didn't even mind all the shady figures that would stroll the aisles alongside me, or the fact that there was only one changing room ( who would give a shit at 5 kč a pop? If you're a thrift store pro, you just eyeball that shit and hope it works) or the service "without a smile."


None of that could have come between us, but I guess I kind of forgot about you for a while because you didn't have the 5 Kč Sundays every week anymore. And then, after months of not seeing you, I make it to your faithful lovely doors only to discover this:



Closed down!!!


So, with the last megasekáč gone from the center of the city, slow loris and I are due for an excursion to the other location at Praha-Úvaly. That's REALLY far out and we'll let you know if it's worth it. Also, I'll keep you posted on smaller thriftstores within the city.

3 comments:

  1. What a shame! I was just researching about second hand shops as I'll be making my way over to Prague next month, are there any others you can recommend?
    Also so you happen to know a place that sells embroidered skirts and tops like the ones seen in kroj (spelling?) preferably second hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever go to the other one?
    Megasekac was my favorite too, me and my man went there on our first Prague trip together and scored big time, a few months later it was closed and we were very disappointed.
    Would be cool to know if it's worth the trip if we go to Prague again.
    Love the way you wrote this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is one new Thrift Store on the scene in Prague. Its called Prague Thrift Store. See at thriftshop.cz

    ReplyDelete