Tuesday, March 23, 2010

GCBC: A transatlantic one-way street.

In this week's Good Cop, Bad Cop, borufkaberry and Captain Sensible tackle a transatlantic love affair that is a matter of perception. Anne wants Honza. Honza doesn't want Anne, but she can't see that. As always, send in your problems, questions about etiquette and other social dilemmas to praggeist@gmail.com!

Dear GCBC,

I am currently hosting a friend of mine and boy has it turned into a shit storm. I met this friend, we'll call her Anne, while she was doing a semester abroad from the U.S. as a graduate student. During that time, she met a Czech man, we'll call him Honza. For three weeks, they were banging. From the very beginning, he said he didn't want a relationship, and Anne said she was fine with that.

But by the end, she thought she loved him and told him this against ALL of my advice.He said he didn't feel the same. In the end it didn't matter, because she left to go back home. Unfortunately, she went back to the U.S. telling her friends she has a boyfriend named Honza. I'm pretty sure she came here to try to be with him again, and it's all she's talking about.

I even tried the "cheesy girls night" with that stupid face stuff and watching Sex and the City. The worst part is he keeps hanging out with her, because he thinks they're friends.

I've never experienced this level of delusion and crazy before. Do I keep trying to talk some sense into her or do I cut ties as soon as she's on the plane back home?

Sincerely,

Whoever

Dear Whoever,

You mean you did the cucumber facial thing with her? Boy, you're a good friend. Well, good cop here believes in letting things take their natural course. Clearly, your friend's delusion is in part due to the fact that she's trying to shield herself from the hurt that could ensue if she admitted to herself that Honza doesn't reciprocate her feelings.

When the time has come, I'm sure Anne will admit that to herself. Until then, just being there as a friend and spending time with her is the best you can do.

If her talking about the pointless love/obsession she has for Honza becomes to much for you to handle, don't feel bad switching topics or telling her politely that you don't want to talk about it anymore.

Hope I could help,

Good Cop

Dear Whoever,

Sounds to me like she's the one who needs some of my good Bad Cop advice, not you. Not that she'd be likely to heed even my advanced wisdom, as the girl is clearly doolally and unhealthily obsessed with this Honza guy. I mean, for christ's sake, you even tried cheesy girls nights (what's 'stupid face stuff'? Wearing deliberately bad makeup? Guess I've seen some women on them nights out). Just drop her as a friend. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be cruel.

Bad Cop


No comments:

Post a Comment